Riverdale Animal Shelter continues to provide contactless services to community pets and their families by appointment only. These services include lost and found pet support, surrender, end-of-life-services, and virtual adoptions.
As many people consider their pets as part of the family, the loss of a beloved pet companion can be an especially heartbreaking experience. Our compassionate staff are here to support both you and your pet during this difficult time. If you have any questions, please call us at 720.523.PETS (7387).
When the quality of your pet’s life has seriously deteriorated due to old age, severe injury or a debilitating illness, you may decide humane euthanasia is the most compassionate option to alleviate pain and suffering. We do recommend you work with your veterinarian (if possible), to receive guidance on the timing of end-of-life care. We also suggest going to a veterinarian office if you want to be present for your pet’s euthanasia process, as our shelter does not provide this option at this time.
Please note, we reserve the right to refuse euthanasia for any animal whose health condition and/or pet ownership cannot be verified.
We offer cremation along with euthanasia services for an additional fee. In cases when a pet has passed away at home, you may bring them to the shelter for cremation. If you wish to arrange for private cremation and would like your pet’s ashes returned to you, we will assist with referrals for this service.
What to Expect:
- You and your pet will be treated with kindness and dignity.
- There will be time to be with your pet before and after euthanasia (if you choose), but not during the euthanasia process.
- Plan to be at the shelter around 30-40 minutes.
- Calling the shelter before you come in is helpful, but not required.
What to Bring and Fees:
- Forms of Identification such as a driver’s license or state ID
- Proof of pet ownership such as vet records, tags, photos
- Cash or credit card to pay fees:
- Euthanasia with Cremation: $85
- Euthanasia Only: $50 (for those using an outside cremation service)
- Cremation Only: $35
When to Come In:
- The shelter is open 7 days per week except for major holidays.
- Hours: Mon-Fri 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Sat and Sun 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Please call 720.523.PETS (7387) to schedule an appointment.
Pet Grief and Loss Resources:
- Free Pet Loss Support Group
191 Yuma Street in Denver
Meets every Thursdays evening from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. (No need to call first)
Pet Loss Support Hotlines:
- National Pet Loss & Bereavement Hotline
Lap of Love Veterinary Hospice
Answered 7 days a week from 7 a.m.–11 p.m. (EST)
- Grief Support Line (ASPCA)
Noon - Midnight EST
1.877.GRIEF-10 or 877.474.3310
This is a direct line to ASPCA's psychologist and grief counselor, Dr. Stephanie LaFarge, PhD.
Pet Loss Support Websites: