Foster with us!
Thank you for your interest in helping our shelter pets by volunteering or fostering. Our fosters provide temporary care to shelter pets who need a little extra love and care, and will thrive best in a home environment. At this time, we are only recruiting new foster homes for adult pets and pets with medical/behavioral special needs. We will reopen recruitment for kitten and puppy fosters in spring of 2021. Please note, the Riverdale Animal Shelter is unable to accommodate foster-to-adopt requests from our adoptable pet population. If you would like to apply to join our foster team, please fill out an application here.
Another very helpful way you can get involved with our foster program is to donate much needed supplies, which can be found on our Amazon Wish List. Your donations help keep foster families stocked with essential supplies so shelter pets may receive extra special care during their stay. Thank you for helping support our foster program!
Volunteer with us!
Currently, we have a ton of amazing volunteers available to help, therefore our volunteer application process continues to remain closed. Barring any increases in COVID-19 cases in the community, our volunteer application will open May 1, 2021. Please revisit this webpage at that time to fill out an application. Until then, please see our requirements below to ensure the best possible fit with Riverdale Animal Shelter.
We love our volunteers! They’re dedicated, compassionate individuals who play a important role in our animals’ success, and we couldn’t do what we do without them!
- Provide care and affection in our kennels.
- Help us exercise and train our animals while they await their forever home.
- Assist the community with locating lost and found pets, or with adoptions at the shelter or during community events.
- Assist with our monthly low-cost vaccinations clinics or community events.
- Temporarily foster animals in need.
Perhaps the most important benefit of joining our volunteer team is your involvement in improving the lives of the pets that come through our doors, and the fulfillment that brings.
During your volunteer time here, you may also:
How to join our volunteer team:
- At least 16 years of age
- Able to make a six-month commitment of approximately two hours per week
- Attend a mandatory volunteer orientation and hands-on training sessions (as needed)
- Undergo a background check
- Volunteer orientations occur every 2-3 months
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll contact you via email regarding our next available orientation.
Have more questions about volunteering? Email email@example.com.