Foster with us!
Our foster care program helps support some of the shelter’s most vulnerable pets by giving them a safe home environment for extra care and attention. Fostering is an incredibly rewarding opportunity and can change the life of an animal forever – and your foster pet may just change your life too! Fostering a pet is a great way for families to volunteer together. Some of our most common foster needs are:
- Underage pets / nursing mothers and babies
- Pets who are in need in need of medical care or recovering from a medical procedure
- Adult dogs or cats in need of additional behavior assessments in a home environment, or training to help them be their best selves
- Pets who have been at the shelter for a while waiting patiently for their new homes, and need a break to decompress in a calm environment
- Senior or special needs pets that will best thrive in a home
Please note, the Riverdale Animal Shelter is unable to accommodate foster-to-adopt requests from our adoptable pet population. If you would like to apply to join our foster team, please fill out an application here.
Another very helpful way you can get involved with our foster program is to donate much needed supplies, which can be found on our Amazon Wish List. Your donations help keep foster families stocked with essential supplies so shelter pets may receive extra special care during their stay. Thank you for helping support our foster program!
Volunteer with us!
We love our volunteers! They’re dedicated, compassionate individuals who play a important role in our animals’ success, and we couldn’t do what we do without them!
- Provide care and affection to adoptable pets in our care.
- Help us enrich, socialize, and feed our animals while they await their forever home.
- Take our dogs on walks and spend time with them in our play yard.
- Help keep our kennels clean and pets happy during their stay with us.
- Assist with our monthly low-cost vaccinations clinics or community events.
Perhaps the most important benefit of joining our volunteer team is your involvement in improving the lives of the pets that come through our doors, and the fulfillment that brings.
During your volunteer time here, you may also:
• Explore the field of animal welfare.
• Meet new friends.
• Develop new skills. More opportunities to serve the shelter are
given to those volunteers who consistently and regularly help
at the shelter.
• Be smothered in dog kisses and cat cuddles!
How to join our volunteer team:
We are an inclusive mission-driven organization. We are looking for dedicated, compassionate, volunteers who are:
- At least 16 years of age
- Able to serve a minimum, consecutive six-month commitment of approximately eight hours a month
- Attend a mandatory volunteer orientation and hands-on training sessions (as needed)
- Adhere to and support our shelter’s philosophy
- Undergo a background check
- Volunteer orientations occur every 2-3 months
If you meet all the above qualifying criteria without exception, we would love for you to fill out our volunteer application! Our next orientation will be held in July 2021, and depending on pandemic protocol at the time, will determine how many openings we will have for an in-person orientation. Please make sure to include a valid email in your application so we may connect with you on next steps and registration information for our orientation.