Surrendering a Pet
If you've been wrestling with the difficult decision about whether or not to give up your pet, we understand this may be a stressful time. If you're no longer able to care for your pet due to lack of resources, such as food or medical care for your pet, behavior concerns, or domestic violence, we may be able to connect you with resources that can potentially allow you to keep your pet. Call us at 303.288.3294 to discuss your situation.
However, if your circumstances are such that you must still give up your pet, we will provide compassionate support for both you and your pet during this process. Here are the steps for surrendering your pet:
- Bring your driver’s license or other form of I.D, as well as proof of pet ownership.
- Bring your pet’s medical records.
- Ensure your pet is secured on a leash or in a carrier.
- Plan to spend time at least 45 minutes telling us all about your pet. The more information we have, the better opportunity we will have to match him or her with the appropriate home or rescue.
- Surrender fees help us cover the cost of caring for your pet until it can be adopted or placed. Fees vary by type of animal and range from $50-85.
While we cannot guarantee your pet will be placed, most animals go on to a loving home or are transferred to a reputable rescue or shelter for additional training and/or medical care.
Call 303.288.3294 with any questions.